Skip to main content

Pizza or Quinoa

I’m sitting here drinking my dinner smoothie. It’s good but I do wish that it was solid food. I only have one more day till I can add things back in. It’s hard for me to believe that I haven’t had coffee, dairy, added sugar, wheat, or process foods for 3 days. It really hasn’t been as hard as I thought it would be.
My morning today started out with a SMOOTHIE. I bet you saw that one coming. ;) It was a green smoothie. But it wasn’t really green.

Green Smoothie
1 ½ C Almond Milk
1 ½ Packed Spinach
1 ½ C Frozen Cherries

This smoothie didn’t keep me as full as yesterday’s smoothies. Probably because it didn’t have as much protein. I would say this smoothie was just okay. All I could really taste was the cherries.

I was hungry about 10:30. I fixed a plate of hummus and veggies. This hit the spot!

The hardest part of my day was lunch. The office was having a pizza party! I wanted a slice real bad. Thank goodness I had a yummy lunch prepared. I was looking forward to my cold quinoa salad I made! It was really good! It will be making it into the recipe book. Remember me telling you I roasted some almonds last night? Well this is what it was for:

Quinoa Salad with Toasted Almonds
¼ C Slivered Almonds (I also used a few walnuts)
½ C Quinoa
4 Teaspoons olive oil
1 yellow bell pepper (I used a green one), ribs and seeds discarded, cut into ½ inch chunks
2 Garlic cloves
¼ Tespoon salt
1 Medium zucchini chopped
1 large celery stalk, diced
1 lime, halved
Handful of chopped spinach
1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast almonds until crisp, lightly browned about 7 min. Remove from oven and set aside. Meanwhile, place quinoa in a fine sieve and rinse under cold running water until water is clear.
2.       In a medium saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add yellow pepper and garlic until pepper is crisp-tender. About 5 min.
3.       Stir in quinoa, 1 cup of water, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover, and cook 7 min. Stir in zucchini, cover, and cook until quinoa is tender but not mushy. Remove from heat
4.       Stir in celery, almonds and remaining 2 teaspoons of oil, season with salt, and fluf with fork. Cool to room temp, sprinkle chopped spinach on top and pack for a yummy lunch. When ready to eat serve with live wedge.


For dinner I chose to make the Mango-cocount water smoothie
Mango Coconut Water
2 C mango chunks
2-3 T Fresh Lime Juice
2 C unsweetened coconut water
I liked this one. It was a tangy mango flavor.


Hope you have a good night!

Ramona

Comments

  1. It would have been really hard to avoid the pizza! I am glad I was not there to be tempted. One more day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1–Have a Headache Already

Happy New Year to everyone! Day 1 of the detox started today. It’s been pretty tough,I’m not gonna lie. I went to Whole Foods and Walmart yesterday to get all the fruits and vegetables I needed for the week. I’ve had a headache all day due to the lack of caffeine. I really don’t drink but maybe a cup and a half of coffee and a glass of tea a day. But I sure did miss it today. This morning I got up to help in the nursery at church. I made the Antioxidant smoothie. You can find the recipe here . It was really good, a little tart but not bad. When I got to the church I got a cup of unsweetened green tea (no caffeine) so I could convince myself it was a cup of coffee. The tea and smoothie held me over till about 11:30. I made a nice little salad for lunch with water with of couple apples thrown in. My salad had spinach, avocado, cucumbers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and pumpkin seeds dressed with balsamic vinaigrette I did get pretty hungry this afternoon so I made the roasted chi

Vanilla Bean Almond Butter

I don’t know about you but I LOVE nut butters. I have never made my own because I didn’t realize out easy it was. I’m telling ya, everyone can make nut butter as long as you have a decent food processor and there's not turning back. I’ve had some left over vanilla beans from the vanilla I made a while back and wanted to use them, so I decided to use them in the almond butter. I made this about a week ago and it’s already half gone! It’s like a yummy creamy dessert. Once you try fresh pure nut butters you will never go back to store bought. Only 3 ingredients and no added oils! So here it goes: Start out by toasting your almonds until they start to smell yummy. Pour your almonds in the food processer and start to process. You will need to process for 8 to 10 minutes and stop several times to scrape down the sides, so be patient. Stage 1 Stage 2- Powder Stage 3-The natural oil starts to come out and its starts to ball up. Stage 4-Almost there, just a f

Year 2 of Detox

Well it’s that time of year again. Last year I decided to do a month long detox starting January 1st. I felt great afterwards and after how I’ve been eating recently I’ve decided to make it a tradition to do it every year. I feel it just puts me on the right track to start out the year. I know when some of you hear the word “detox” you think water and pepper for 5 days straight (or something crazy like that). This is nothing like that. I actually follow a plan that I think is very healthy. Every year Whole Living puts out a new plan. It has changed a little since last year. I think it’s a little easier to follow this year. They provide all the recipes and instructions you need to follow the plan. Check out week 1 of the plan here . Week 1 I will be eating fruits, vegetables, and plant-based fats, including nuts, seeds, and oils. Week 2 I will be adding back in seafood, beans and lentils, and organic soy. And week 3 I will be adding back in gluten-free grains and eggs. I will be chang