Skip to main content

Growing Alfalfa Sprouts

Well, I gave in. I had a ½ of a warm glazed donut from Shipley’s. J It was soo good! I made a smoothie to keep me full and from eating more donuts.
I call it peaches ‘n cream oatmeal smoothie!
Peaches ‘n cream oatmeal smoothie
1 cup of peaches
½ cup of raw oats
1 cup of almond milk
1 tablespoon peanut butter
Splash of vanilla




I liked it, though I thought it was a little thick. I think I will cut back on the oats next time.
Lunch was made by Kyle today! He made grilled turkey and swiss on ciabatta bread sandwiches. They were very good!



Can you see the Alfalfa sprouts on my sandwich? I grew them this week! It was so easy and I thought I would share with you how you can grow them in your own kitchen as well.
I had a friend of mine give me some sprouts last weekend and told me that I should try it out. She had lots of luck in growing hers, so I thought I would try as well.
You need:
Alfalfa Seeds (You can get them at whole foods in the bulk section)
Mason jar and top
Some sort of mesh or you can use an old stalking or pantyhose.
1.       Place 1 tablespoon of seeds into your jar. Soak your seeds overnight. Fill the jar at least a quarter full and just let it sit.
2.       In the morning or after 8 hours, pour the water out and let the seeds sit. You want the seeds to be wet and have some of the seeds cling to the side of the jar. Then lay the jar on its side.
3.       Rise the seeds at least 2 times a day following the step above. You will do this for the next 4 to 5 days. You will start to see your sprouts growing tails and getting longer everyday.
4.       On day 5 or 6 the sprouts are about done growing. You can place the jar in the sun light for 15 to 20 min to allow them to get a little greener. Mine were already green at this point.
5.       You can now enjoy your sprouts on your favorite sandwich, wrap, salad or however you would like.
You just made your own homegrown alfalfa sprouts!



I invited my sister and her husband over for dinner tonight. I found a recipe for Pulled Pork Tacos from another food blog I read.  You can find her original recipe here. (http://www.healthyfoodforliving.com/?p=17245) I couldn’t wait to make them. They looked so good. Remember me telling you how Mexican is my favorite, well I’m having Mexican tomorrow night as well.  I could eat it every night. I’m having some friends over tomorrow night as well. It’s a group of really good friends who I don’t get to see very often. I’m looking forward to it.
Check this pork out!
Pulled Pork Tacos
3 lb Boneless Pork Loin Roast cut into large pieces
2 tsp salt
4 tsp Ancho Chile Powder
2 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 -2 tbsp Olive Oil
12 fluid oz Beer
½ Cup freshly squeezed orange
Taco toppings
Warm corn tortillas
Avocado
Sour cream or greek yogurt
Cilantro
Lime
Salsa
1.       Combine salt and rest of spices in a small bowl. Spread spice mix out on plate. Evenly coat pork on all sides with dry rub.
2.       Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add in seasoned pork and sear all sides until browned about 1 min on each side.
3.       Take out pork and place to the side. Pour in beer and add orange. Stir all together.
4.       Pour beer mixture in to crock pot and add pork to beer mixture.
5.       Cover crock pot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.
6.       Take fork and pull pork and serve on tacos.





My sister Jamie and her husband CJ

Comments

  1. Those pork tacos look so good! I want to make some like them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were really good! You should make them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1–Have a Headache Already

Happy New Year to everyone! Day 1 of the detox started today. It’s been pretty tough,I’m not gonna lie. I went to Whole Foods and Walmart yesterday to get all the fruits and vegetables I needed for the week. I’ve had a headache all day due to the lack of caffeine. I really don’t drink but maybe a cup and a half of coffee and a glass of tea a day. But I sure did miss it today. This morning I got up to help in the nursery at church. I made the Antioxidant smoothie. You can find the recipe here . It was really good, a little tart but not bad. When I got to the church I got a cup of unsweetened green tea (no caffeine) so I could convince myself it was a cup of coffee. The tea and smoothie held me over till about 11:30. I made a nice little salad for lunch with water with of couple apples thrown in. My salad had spinach, avocado, cucumbers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and pumpkin seeds dressed with balsamic vinaigrette I did get pretty hungry this afternoon so I made the roasted chi

Vanilla Bean Almond Butter

I don’t know about you but I LOVE nut butters. I have never made my own because I didn’t realize out easy it was. I’m telling ya, everyone can make nut butter as long as you have a decent food processor and there's not turning back. I’ve had some left over vanilla beans from the vanilla I made a while back and wanted to use them, so I decided to use them in the almond butter. I made this about a week ago and it’s already half gone! It’s like a yummy creamy dessert. Once you try fresh pure nut butters you will never go back to store bought. Only 3 ingredients and no added oils! So here it goes: Start out by toasting your almonds until they start to smell yummy. Pour your almonds in the food processer and start to process. You will need to process for 8 to 10 minutes and stop several times to scrape down the sides, so be patient. Stage 1 Stage 2- Powder Stage 3-The natural oil starts to come out and its starts to ball up. Stage 4-Almost there, just a f

Year 2 of Detox

Well it’s that time of year again. Last year I decided to do a month long detox starting January 1st. I felt great afterwards and after how I’ve been eating recently I’ve decided to make it a tradition to do it every year. I feel it just puts me on the right track to start out the year. I know when some of you hear the word “detox” you think water and pepper for 5 days straight (or something crazy like that). This is nothing like that. I actually follow a plan that I think is very healthy. Every year Whole Living puts out a new plan. It has changed a little since last year. I think it’s a little easier to follow this year. They provide all the recipes and instructions you need to follow the plan. Check out week 1 of the plan here . Week 1 I will be eating fruits, vegetables, and plant-based fats, including nuts, seeds, and oils. Week 2 I will be adding back in seafood, beans and lentils, and organic soy. And week 3 I will be adding back in gluten-free grains and eggs. I will be chang