Skip to main content

Shrimp And Grits

Do you like shrimp and grits? Well, I live in the South and have never made them and decided that I needed too. I was pretty excited about how they turned out.

IMAG0806

It was probably one of the easiest dishes to fix. I picked up some fresh shrimp and mushrooms at Whole foods and went to town.

I started out by taking the shells off and rising the shrimp.

IMAG0796

I chopped up 1/2 of an onion, 2 garlic cloves and a bunch of mushrooms.

IMAG0797

I sautéed the veggies in a little olive oil until they were nice and juicy.

IMAG0798

While the veggies were cooking I cooked the corn grits in water. It takes about 20 min for them to cook. I made a little extra so I could have cheese grits the next morning! Yum!

After the veggies were cooked I set them a side and cooked the shrimp.

IMAG0799

Once the shrimp was cooked all the way through I combined the veggies and shrimp sautéed for a couple more minutes.

IMAG0800

Once the grits had cooked for 20 min I added 1 cup of cheddar cheese

IMAG0801

And one tablespoon of lemon juice

IMAG0802

Mix it all together and you have cheese grits! If you like your grits a little more runnier you can add water or milk.

IMAG0803

You can salt and pepper to taste. I just served the shrimp and veggies on top.

IMAG0805

For those of you that don’t think this combination goes well together, well it does! Winking smile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1–Have a Headache Already

Happy New Year to everyone! Day 1 of the detox started today. It’s been pretty tough,I’m not gonna lie. I went to Whole Foods and Walmart yesterday to get all the fruits and vegetables I needed for the week. I’ve had a headache all day due to the lack of caffeine. I really don’t drink but maybe a cup and a half of coffee and a glass of tea a day. But I sure did miss it today. This morning I got up to help in the nursery at church. I made the Antioxidant smoothie. You can find the recipe here . It was really good, a little tart but not bad. When I got to the church I got a cup of unsweetened green tea (no caffeine) so I could convince myself it was a cup of coffee. The tea and smoothie held me over till about 11:30. I made a nice little salad for lunch with water with of couple apples thrown in. My salad had spinach, avocado, cucumbers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and pumpkin seeds dressed with balsamic vinaigrette I did get pretty hungry this afternoon so I made the roasted chi...

Vanilla Bean Almond Butter

I don’t know about you but I LOVE nut butters. I have never made my own because I didn’t realize out easy it was. I’m telling ya, everyone can make nut butter as long as you have a decent food processor and there's not turning back. I’ve had some left over vanilla beans from the vanilla I made a while back and wanted to use them, so I decided to use them in the almond butter. I made this about a week ago and it’s already half gone! It’s like a yummy creamy dessert. Once you try fresh pure nut butters you will never go back to store bought. Only 3 ingredients and no added oils! So here it goes: Start out by toasting your almonds until they start to smell yummy. Pour your almonds in the food processer and start to process. You will need to process for 8 to 10 minutes and stop several times to scrape down the sides, so be patient. Stage 1 Stage 2- Powder Stage 3-The natural oil starts to come out and its starts to ball up. Stage 4-Almost there, just a f...

Mexican 2 Days in a Row!

Happy MLK Day! This morning started out like a normal morning with a cup of coffee and a bowl of Kashi cereal. I really like the cinnamon flavor but it gets a little soggy if you don’t eat it quick. I’m not a very quick eater either.   I enjoyed some mixed fruit with cherries, cantaloupe, and grapes with my breakfast as well. I was planning on eating lunch at work today but I remembered about midmorning that I left it at home. ;( So today at noon I headed back home for a quick lunch. I have a ton of leftovers from the pulled pork and Mexican night this weekend. I ate 2 pulled pork tacos on corn tortillas topped off with black beans and sour cream. Still good two days later! Notice the ice tea. I"m slowly adding my tea back in. Its slightly sweetened with evaporated cane juice crystals. Served on fine china (paper plates) I had more cherries for a mid afternoon snack. Dinner consisted of quesadillas with the leftover Mexican chicken. I chopped up a tenderloin and grilled it on...